Strategies and Policies for Outside Class
- COVID Protocols: With a couple of exceptions, all of the strictest COVID protocols will be followed at all times. Every family unit and Jon will stay at least 6 feet apart at all times (it's been more like 20 feet or usually). Vaccinated adults have the option to not wear masks. Children have the option to not wear masks. No equipment will be shared. Kids will have the option, with adult permission, to sit on the drum throne and play a small drum set (with their own sticks) for a song towards the end of class.
- Jon won't be wearing a mask during class: I can't do this without my face, sorry. I will be singing, which is said to be more dangerous than talking...
- Adult Participation: This is an adult participation class! Children must be accompanied by a participating adult!!! Adult participation is compulsory, and I will be calling on the adults in the class to help show the children what we want them to do. Outside at parks it can be difficult to engage children, especially at 20 feet away. When the adults unite in any action, the kids are drawn into joining, but when the adults don't participate, the kids see it as an excuse to not participate themselves. The adults are the models of how we want the kids to behave in the class, and must sing and do the moves and behaviors all class long.
- Cell Phones: No cell phone use except for emergencies or cameras or audio recordings.
- Taking video or pictures of your child is usually fine, but I might ask you to stop if I for any reason if I think it's best for the class. Please refrain from taking images of other children and Jon without prior permission.
- Food: No eating during class.
- 1 adult per child only!: (One adult with 2 children is fine, but if one has a extended tantrum or disruptive crying session you'll need to them 20 feet away from the circle to give them a chance to collect themselves).
- Guests: No extra adults or children into the class without prior permission.
- Makeups: Unfortunately, with the tiny class COVID class size allowable, outside class makeups are not always available at this time. I might have some available, but I can't promise...
- Rainy Days and Other Disaster Refunds: Refunds, credits, possibly some outside class makeups are offered for all cancelled classes. Whatever you like...
- Be Ready to Adjust Locations: I get to the location right before class and we sometimes need to adjust plans if it isn't looking good for some unforeseen reason. Make sure I have your phone number for last minute changes, and use your phone right before class if necessary.
- Email and Text Communication: For cancellations and adjustments that might need to occur, a group email will be used up until half an hour before the class starts. A group text with on site adjustments will be used starting one half hour before class. (Please make sure I have your phone number...)
- Blanket: Bring a blanket to sit on (the ground is often wet).
- Instruments: Bring your own instruments! I will have some for you to borrow for your first class if you like. here are the ones I'm currently recommending you purchase:
http://www.jsom.com/instruments-for-older-kid-class ...for the 4.5ish and older class
http://www.jsom.com/instruments-for-younger-class. ...for the 1 - 6 year old class
- No Free Previews: Sorry, with the small COVID class size allowable, preview classes are $26 (price per class when signing up for a series).
- Drop-Ins: $36 if available.
g. Adult participation is compulsory, and I will be calling on all adults to help show the kids what we’re trying to get them to do.